Sunday, May 16, 2010

What Prize Are You Aiming For?



The past few weeks I was campaigning for Senior Class Vice President at my high school, Forest. I put so much time and effort into my campaign. I worked really hard because it was an opportunity that I really wanted. I felt that if I was Vice President for my senior year, then I would be able to make a difference on my high school campus and that I would be able to put my "mark" on Forest High School. In the end I lost the campaign. I was really disappointed because this was something I had worked so hard for and something I really wanted to experience and be a part of.

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:14 NIV

This verse kept playing over and over in my head last Monday when they announced the Senior Class officers for 2010/2011 school year. I kept saying but I pressed forward to this goal so hard and so confident, why didn't I win my prize? Isn't this a golden opportunity for me to tell Forest High School that we have Hope in Jesus? Why didn't I succeed?

But as these questions kept hitting me left and right, God began to show me the answer. His prize that He wanted me to win was not the position of Vice President. God wanted me to step out of my comfort zone. His prize for me to win was learning to be confident in myself through my hard work and determination. He wanted me to learn that winning is not just gaining a position or a tangible prize but it is gaining a new perspective on confidence and my life as a student at Forest High School.

Running for a class office is definitely not what I usually would do with my time. But I decided to try it and step out of my circle and put myself out there. I met so many awesome people that I would never have met if I hadn't taken that leap into the unknown.

I pressed on toward the goal and came up with an unexpected prize. I gained a new confidence in myself and as a bonus I made some really cool friends! God works in mysterious ways (:

4 comments:

  1. Such wisdom! We love you, KT and are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Katie and I am so proud of you!!! God is taking you to a whole new level with Him...you go girl:)
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are SO proud of you! We love you! Owens Gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. soooooooo kt... you are SUPER inspiring to me!!!!!!!!!!! you are a fantastic person and a fantabulous friend!!!!! thanks for always making me smile!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)))))))))))))))))
    ~kara~ :)

    ReplyDelete